Tuesday, August 23, 2011

When you're a SAHM, but not really...

I came to the realization today that I need to redefine my "title".  I tend to refer to myself as a stay at home mom, but that's not really true.

I started working from home back in April.  At the time the work flow was much different than it is now, and I only worked approximately 10-15 hours per week.  The work was very manageable, I still had a good balance of time with the kids, time with Nick, time for housework and personal pursuits, and work.  Things are very, very different now.  Work is piling up and I am taking full advantage of that fact and trying to earn as much money as possible.  My actual quotas for my job are very low, but being handed the opportunity to earn as much money as I can, I am going to jump right into that with both feet!

My work week now varies anywhere from 30-36 hours per week, which just about adds up to working 2 full time jobs if you consider that I am also the only caregiver for the kids from 6:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.  Life is busy!

Now how I define and label myself might not seem to matter to most people, but it does to me.  I've had a difficult time transitioning from the "old" stay at home mom role, to the "new" work at home mom role.  In the past I could run errands, go on play dates, do crafts and generally make a mess and have fun while the kids were awake, and then run around and do the tidying, cleaning, and cooking while they napped and after bedtime.  This just isn't the case any more, and I constantly feel pulled in a million different directions.  I am also questioning what the best use of my time is in that particular moment - should I be doing laundry?  making play dough with the kids?  prepping dinner?  sneaking away for a moment to get work done?

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I think I need to make myself a schedule that reflects the fact the fact that I now have 2 jobs.  I need to find that magic balance (if it exists), where I can get work done, while at the same time still focusing on what really matters (family), and not letting the rest of life fall into chaos (organization, cleaning, finances).

Nobody ever said being a mom was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment