Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Decluttering Dilemma

I'm running into a bit of a dilemma in my decluttering mission.  I'm trying to find the balance between having the things we need to be as self sufficient as possible, and keeping things that are rarely used.  I have so many baking pans and kitchen appliances that some have been relegated to a shelf in the garage.  This is where my canning pots, angel food cake pan, and huge tub of 100+ cookie cutters live.  I would love to say, "They're rarely used, I'll just toss them!" But then what do I do when I want to can jam and apple sauce?  Is it really necessary to own an enormous pressure cooker?  No... but it sure does come in handy when I'm making stock out of a turkey carcass.  And do I need to own 100 mason jars?  Of course not, but when I need one it sure is nice to have a variety of sizes on hand.

There seems to be a pretty fine line between having enough, and having too much.  It's a pretty individual decision on where that line falls, and I guess I'm just trying to figure out where the line is for me.

Here is the shelf in all its disorganized cluttered glory, I'll try to update later with what decision I come to.


1 comment:

  1. I think you can keep most of it. Just organize it and it won't feel so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete